2022 Jazz Improvisation Competition
Welcome to the Young Jazz Band-it Jazz Improvisation Competition for 2022. This competition is first organised online with the five finalists required to travel to Wellington for the final round taking place on 1 October 2022.
This event has been put together with both an educational focus and a competition outcome.
Students will select one tune from the following list to perform as their audition piece.
- Doxy – Perform 2x head, 4 choruses of solo, 2 x head out
- Autumn Leaves – Perform 1x head, 2 choruses of solo,1 x head out with tag ending
- Satin Doll – Perform 1 x head, 1 x chorus of solo, 1 x head out with tag ending
- Blues in F – Perform 1 x head, 6 choruses of solo, 1 x head out.
All performers have to be enrolled at a New Zealand High School.
Open to all jazz instrumentalists and vocalists: Saxophones, Clarinet, Flute, Trumpet, Trombone, Piano/Keyboards, Guitar, Bass and Vocals.
A separate drum set solo competition is set out below.
To enrol in this competition, please visit the Young Jazz Band-it website: https://jazzbandit.nz/NZ-Jazz-Improvisation-Competition
Once the student has enrolled in the competition, a link will be sent to the student’s email address which will include:
- Backing tracks of the four set tunes
- Lead sheets of the four set tunes
- A link to upload the student’s video performance of the selected tune
- A link to the online educational tutorials.
- 12 July Final date to upload videos of the student selected tune.
- 26 July 5 Finalists announced
Finalists will learn and perform three tunes:
- Doxy by Sonny Rollins
- Two tunes from the list above
1 October: Selected finalists perform live in Wellington as part of the Young Jazz Band-it Competition
The Grand Prize will include:
The three winners from each section: Instrumentalist, Vocal and Drum sections, will receive a $750 Gift Voucher from MusicWorks.
Jazz Drummer Competition:
Perform to the set piece: Doxy
The Performance will include - playing to the melody with the backing track, 4 bars trades with backing track, 16 bar open solo, play melody out with backing track.
Once a student has enrolled in the competition, see instructions above, they will be sent a link for the backing track material.
All dates will be the same as the instrumental jazz solo competition.
Three drummer finalists will be selected for the final round, which will take place in Wellington on 1 October 2022.
ENTRY INTO THE COMPETITION HAS A COST OF $30.00. WHEN WE RECEIVE YOUR ENTRY, AN INVOICE WILL BE SENT.